Thursday, February 16, 2012

Smart phone applications that save big money

Using technology around the globe can be exciting and eye opening.    Many people use the new smart phone for a million different devices these days.  One example that comes to mind would be bug spray.  I have an application on my phone that allows me to sit outside and enjoy the evening without being bitten by a mosquito.  The application produces a sound that repels the mosquitos and allows you to have a nice evening outside mosquito free.  That's the plan in theory.  This is not how it always plays out though.  Technology will continue to improve in this area and the mosquitos will be gone soon enough.  I have a family member who bought a mosquito repellent machine for about $1500.00.  This machine was placed at the corner of the lawn and would keep mosquitos away from your BBQ and attract them to the machine.  One evening I asked if it really worked and we took a walk down there and looked into the catch bag.  There must have been 5000 mosquitos inside already.  I couldn't believe how many were inside. It looked like the machine had captured all of them that were near us.
As I research where to buy this machine I was very surprised by the cost.  The cheapest one I could find besides paying straight retail was for $1200.00.  Not cheap at all.  I looked everywhere for them because my yard was a little bigger and the manufacturer suggested I buy 3 of them.  Wow! That would be about $4500.00 without shipping.
In the end I was looking at $4500 for something that a $5 bottle of bug spray would combat.  This was around $4000 more than I wanted to spend so I decided not to get them.  That was in the year of 1998 and fast forward to 2012 and now they have an application for this.  The application cost $1.  If everyone at the BBQ had this application then nobody would be bitten. Assuming that the application worked properly.  I believe I invited around 25 people to come to my BBQ.  If only 5 of us had this application then the total cost for keeping everybody at the BBQ bite free would be about $5.  The application does not run out however.  You can continue to use it everyday.  When this technology becomes really effective can we throw away those expensive mosquito catchers?  Could this little piece of technology save us $4500 for my household alone?  Quite possibly there are a 1000 stories similar to this one about the future uses of technology in our hand that can save us money.  Thinking of one yourself?  Shoot me an email.  Or leave a comment below.  The photo is of an application on a Nokia phone.


No comments:

Post a Comment